Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Dreams, Desires and Goals!!


I am the biggest dork because I love to go hang out at bookstores and READ...It's quiet and there is just a plethora of information that makes it so intriguing. Anyway, I went and spent 3 hours there last night and then decided I should probably just buy a couple books and go home before they kicked me out ;) I had heard about this book "Never Eat Alone" but when I picked it up, my first response at the title was ..."Oh dear Lord, not ANOTHER dating book...but don't worry, its about business so its all good!...haha
Anyway, I started reading and I just kept writing down so many quotes on random receipts from my purse, so that's when I knew it was a book I had to buy... After I got home last night, I couldn't put it down so I finished it already!...hehe...
Holy Cow! This book totally rocked my world! The poor book is all marked up and highlighted and I wrote stuff all through the margins but I was just so inspired! If you haven't read it.. I highly suggest you do!
The last few weeks have been a time of figuring out my goals and what I want from life so this book was the icing on the cake. I never truly realized the importance of setting goals...I had ideas in my head but ultimately I was just focused on succeeding in life (whatever that means)...The problem is, you cant succeed if you don't have a plan and you wont have a plan if their aren't those dreams and goals that are the foundation to activate that plan... Yeah so I got a swift kick in the pants!
Check out this quote from the beginning of chapter 3...

"Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to," said the Cat
"I don't much care where-" said Alice
"Then it doesn't matter which way you go," said the Cat
-Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carol


I've been like Alice.. I have made countless requests to God for direction but if I don't even know where I want to end up...then what good will his direction do?...Make sense?? I still will seek Him for direction in life but God steers moving vehicles, if you know what I mean. So over the past week or so I developed 4 basic core values of what I want in life to serve as foundations to measure my dreams and goals next to...

1. Give Back: Live a life devoted to others. Growing up, there were so many people who sacrificed and poured into my life and I want to "pay it forward" as a lifestyle
2. Legacy: I want to leave a legacy...how will people remember me? Its not about being famous..I could care less honestly, I just want to live a life that my children and children's children can look back on and benefit from. This stems from a Nichole Nordeman song called "legacy" that is a cry to live a life that will be remembered for all the right things... Did I chose to Love? Did I glorify God with my words AND actions...etc... This value holds me accountable to attitude and actions on a continual basis
3. Availability: Open, willing and available to be used of the Lord in any capacity
4. Have Fun: This is KEY in my life. I want to enjoy life to its fullest...Life is too short to not enjoy! :)

Then after reading this book, and using its suggestions for goal setting, I wrote and wrote and wrote and developed a goal list, and an action plan to achieve the goals that stemmed from my core values! I am totally stoaked now!
OK...so yeah...go read this book...:) The whole 'goal' stuff is only the beginning! It also offers some really rich information that is key to not only having a successful business but a successful life...one relationship at a time :)

5 Comments:

Blogger || davidjay || said...

That's such an awesome book!

6/23/2006 1:41 AM  
Blogger Jasmine said...

Per your recommendation, I can't wait to pick this book up. As if I don't get distracted enough as it is, I'll have another book to pull me away :)
Oh yeah, keeping book notes in your purse? I like, I like :)

6/23/2006 7:16 AM  
Blogger Sarah Barlow said...

That's so awesome Shyla!!
I'll have to pick up that book!
Sound incredible!
That's so awesome that you're getting vision for you life!! Keep pressing forward! Can't wait to see what God does! :) You're awesome!

6/23/2006 12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anahita-
Good! I'm excited to see you when I get back, then you can tell me ALL about it!
love you, miss you
Danielle

6/23/2006 7:48 PM  
Blogger amynave said...

I have that book:) Can't wait to read it!!!!!

6/26/2006 12:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home