Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Friday, July 21, 2006

Blue Like Jazz...

I love to read, but I generally never read fiction or "stories" for pleasure. Instead I prefer to read practical and tangible information that is immediately or futuristicly applicable. So when my friend Steve recommended this book I was slightly skeptical due to its journalistic/story nature but because of his passionate recommendation I picked up the book. Armed with my trusty 3-color pen I began to "read" (reading generally entails writing for me...lots of notes and underlining)...
initially I felt like I was reading a picture book because the author is from my hometown so every street, coffee shop or neighborhood he mentioned was accompanied by my vivid mental recollection of my own visit or experience with that particular place. Then, 1/3 of the way through the book I was deeply thankful for the recommendation because as I read the author's non-religious thoughts on spirituality I experienced a new level of freedom in my relationship with God...One that didn't have to be put in a box and defined by the same characteristics similar any one other person. In modified words of the author it almost "gave me permission to be human and to interact with God without all of the mind-melt that comes with growing up in a religious family" or attending a religious school. It is so easy to get caught up in a Christian-bubble that doesn't allow room for different schools of thought, but in my time spent reading this book I feel a new and exciting freedom to embrace fresh new perspectives
Its a great book for affirming different perspectives as well as causing one to stretch themselves and abandon preconceived beliefs that there is only ONE way to think!.... Thanks Steve, I should listen to you more often ;)

4 Comments:

Blogger Danielle Renee said...

I loved the book too Shy! I found myself laughing all the time at the things he would say. I wholeheartedly agree it is so refreshing. You'll have to tell me about your favorite bits when you come home. Love you!

7/21/2006 7:03 PM  
Blogger Michael Norwood said...

Awesome book, you should read his others too!

7/21/2006 9:50 PM  
Blogger Shyla said...

Yellie... My favorite story in the book was about the Navy SEAL who went to rescue the hostages but they were so scared they wouldnt go... so he took off his gear and laid down next to them to show them they could trust him...they then followed him to saftey...
Such rich symbolism :)

Michael... I'll add them to my list :)

7/22/2006 12:30 AM  
Blogger Liana said...

LOL... I JUST posted on this book this week too. It's Blue Like Jazz week (trying to get Jazzy and Crystal to read it now too!! lol). Great review!

7/23/2006 3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home