Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Holy Inspiration Batman!!

I took a B&W film Fashion Photography class a while back and one recurring assignment was to pull an image from a magazine and examine the lighting. We were graded on our accuracy of deciphering the direction of light and instruments used ( ie...soft box, reflector, hair light, spot light, on camera flash...etc etc) Anyway, those exercises stuck with me and while I prefer to shoot with mainly ambient light, I often find it intriguing to try to figure out the formula of light when I see fun artificially lit images.
Anyway, I recently stumbled across the website of Joe McNally and I was TOTALLY inspired. I clicked through image after image and was completely enthralled at his work.... He is a master at artifical AND ambient light!!! It was so fun to sit before each picture and pick apart how it was lit, whether assisted or natural.
What makes him even cooler is that he's shot on a military air and naval base, which has always been my dream.
I left his site being totally inspired.
Now I want to go buy a bunch of spots and go shoot...anyone wanna model for me?? ;)

here are a few of his amazing shots...



(ps) he shoots Nikon ;)

3 Comments:

Blogger Rodolfo Arpia said...

Hey Shyla,

I love his work. The good thing is most of the times he uses speedlights only to get those great results.

1/17/2007 2:57 PM  
Blogger Sarah Barlow said...

SHY!!! Photoshoot time baby!!! Yeah! I just got a one light set up with a nice big umbrella and everything!! When we get together we have to do a shoot like that!!(Natalie can be our model) :)

1/17/2007 4:02 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

Wow! I totally do this all the time and I had no idea! I buy fashion magazines just for the ads! ;-) Great post! (liked the did you know post too)

1/17/2007 4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home